Management refers to the task of getting the results through others by organizing their efforts. Just as all the activities of a person are coordinated and regulated by mind similarly, the activities of various members of an organization are coordinated and regulated by management.
Some type of management becomes essential whenever there are an organized group of people working to achieve a common goal. There are some concepts of management that are important to be remembered for help in homework or assignment help, and are as follows:
- Management as an activity:
As an activity, management aims at getting things done through the efforts of other people. As an activity, management directs, integrates, guides, and regulates human efforts to achieve certain common goals. It integrates the inputs of money, machinery, men, material, and methods, and a productive enterprise is made out of them. It has the following implications:
- Management is referred to as an interpersonal activity as a manager interacts with other persons to get things done.
- Management is known to be a group activity since the efforts of group of persons is coordinated by a manager.
- Management as a group:
As a group, management refers to all those persons who perform the task in order to manage an organization. It consists of Chief Executives, Branch Managers, Supervisors, Board of Directors, Heads of departments, Superintendents, etc.
- Management as a discipline:
As a discipline, a specialized branch of knowledge is implied by the management refers which involves the practices of management and study of principles. Management is taught as a specialized branch of knowledge in several renowned institutions. As a part of social sciences, it is an independent subject of study and is fast growing. As a discipline, management comprises several specialized functional areas such as Marketing Management, Production Management, Financial Management, Personnel Management, etc.
- Management as a process:
Management as a process is something that managers do. Since management considers a series of interrelated elements, it is considered a process. These functions should be performed in proper sequence and in an orderly manner. It has the following implications:
- Since, it brings together physical, human and financial resources and integrates them it is known as integrated process.
- Management is also known as a continuous process.
- Since, all managerial activities are contained in each other, management is known as iterative process.
- Since, managers work with and through people, management is also called social process.
There are several characteristics of management that should be remembered by students if they wish to get proper help in homework: –
- Management is goal-oriented:
Management aims at achieving economic and social objectives. It exists and operates so that it can secure certain results. The fulfillment of the desired goals leads to the success of the management.
- Management is universal:
Management is required in all types of organizations business or non-business, big or small, etc. at every level of authority, the basic functions of management are performed, be it authority-top, middle, or lower.
- Management is a group activity:
In order to make the members work as a team, management unites the efforts of different members of the group. Through group efforts, it implies the skill of getting things done. Teamwork is most important for the management to work efficiently.
- Management is a social process:
With the help of the people and through their hard work, management involves getting things done. A manager has to direct, regulate and coordinate the efforts of human beings in order to achieve the desired results. The most important and indispensable part of management is the human factor.
- Management is both an Art and a Science:
Since management contains certain principles having a universal application, it is considered a science. But the results of management are dependent on the personal skill of managers, so it is referred to as an art.
Nature of management: –
- Management as a Science: A systemized body of knowledge that can be acquired through observation and experimentation, is known as science. The essential features of science are as follows:
- Systemized body of knowledge: The basic principles and concepts state that management is a systemized body of knowledge.
- Cause and effect relationship: The cause-and-effect relationship is established by the principles of management between various factors. For instance, dual subordination is the cause for confusion.
- Universally validity of principles: There are scientific principles which represents basic truths and have application and universal validity.
- Management as an Art: The practical application of knowledge and skills to achieve the desired results is known as art. The essential features of art are as follows:
- Practical knowledge: As an art, management aims at getting things done through other people to accomplish the desire results. To attain the predetermined goals, management involves putting the available knowledge into practice.
- Personal skill: There is a style of doing work unique to every manager. On the basis of his own thinking and understanding of the situation, manager tackles various problems on the basis of his own thinking.
- Creativity: Since management can convert inputs into outputs, it is creative in nature. It also involves regular practice.
- Management as a profession: A vocation requiring practical training, code of conduct, specialized knowledge and service motive is known as profession. The essential features of profession are as follows:
- Formal education and training: To provide education and training, there was specialized management institutions. Students get jobs as a manager after completing education and training. There are also some of the qualified persons who act as management consultants. Yet entry to a career in management is not just restricted to management refers graduates.
- Service motive: As other professionals, it is expected form managers to serve the society rather than just earning profits for the owners.
- Code of conduct: There is also a code of conduct in the managers. Yet it is not legally imperative on the managers.
These were a few basics on the concept of management that may facilitate assignment help to students searching for it.